Hello beautiful people, today we would be chatting up with Demi Akin of HighStreetMania, a par-time blogger based in UK. She shares her experiences on blogging, been minimalist but yet classy and her greatest asset.
· Where are you from?
I’m from Oyo state, Nigeria (Ibadan girl to the core lol)
· Where have you been?
In terms of countries I’ve lived in, I was born in Zimbabwe and lived there for 4 years, then Nigeria were I lived for 12 years before moving to the uk in 2010.
· What do you do?
Currently I am a student. So I spend most of my days studying but asides from that, I work as a par-time blogger, the assistant director of The Blogger Point Nigeria, a brand consultant and a sales associate – and before you begin to wonder, Yes, I am slightly always busy.
· What’s your favorite place in the world?
My favorite place in the world is my bedroom #lol I just love being in my space. I love and cherish my ‘me-time’ and also love sleeping so yes – my bedroom is my favorite place
· What sparked your passion for fashion blogging?
You could say curiosity drove me to blogging. I just wanted to know what it felt like to own a blog but I’ve always loved Fashion and creating stuff. So the ‘Passion for Fashion’ has always been there. Blogging just happens to be a way I share it with the world
· Who are your role models in the industry?
Hmmm… It’s a tough one. For one I love Fisayo Longe! – I want to be like her when I grow up :D. I also greatly admire Patricia bright and Shirley Eniang.
· Who are your top three fashion brands you would love to collaborate with?
Primark! 😀 Iconic Invanity and CLAN
· How difficult was it to attain agency representation?
I actually don’t work via any agency at the moment. I run and represent myself.
· Do you have any projects you’d like to show off?
Well, there are a few in the pipeline but I prefer not to jinx them! All I can say for now is ANTICIPATE!
· Fashion/Styling/blogging is very competitive. How do you stand out?
I just do me. It’s that simple. No one can do me better than I do; so I stand out by staying true to who I am and trying to be better than I was yesterday
· Who has had the biggest influence on your career?
Toyosi Gregory Jonah!!! I love love love this woman. Maryam Salam (Fashionbydaisy) has also been a big influence. Both women showed me the there’s so much more to blogging than I could ever imagine.
· What is the best thing a photographer can do to bring out your personality?
Be good at their job for 1 and 2 be very friendly and have the same vision for the shoot as I do. I always start my shoots be discussing my inspiration with the photographer so we’re both clear on exactly what we want to achieve from the shoot.
· What’s your philosophy when it comes to being a great fashionista/ stylist/v-blogger?
Less is more; Minimalism really – Although I won’t class myself as a completely minimalist but I love to keep things simple.
· What are the top 3 tips you have for aspiring fashionista/stylists/v-blogger/blogger?
1. It takes time so don’t beat yourself up if things don’t move as quickly as you would like them to.
2. DO NOT EVER compare yourself with others else you will quickly be discouraged and loose focus
3. Make friends with other bloggers. It really helps make the journey to blogging success easier
· What’s one of your biggest fears?
· Who do you want to give a shout-out to?
I already mentioned her name but a big shout out to my big sis Toyosi – Thanks for always being there!
· What do you think is your best feature?
My legs 😀 I’ve been told they look really nice haha
· If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be?
Nothing really. Maybe just get a permanently flat tummy and I’ll be all set!
· What’s something you’ve always wanted to do but haven’t?
Sky diving – but that might change soon… who knows!
A huge thank you to Demi Akin for letting us feature her today. We enjoyed getting to know a little more about her and hope you did as well!
Make sure you head on over to HighStreetMania’s blog & social media to see some of her other stunning looks!